Library stack organization and standalones

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 03:54:10 EST 2004

--- Dar Scott <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:
> Take a look at figure 2.  Ignore the top part.  In
> the lower part is
> this:
>
> Substack
> MainStack
> Library
>
> Changing the mainstack of a substack of a library
> stack will change the
> path for that substack.
>
> Specifically, consider this in development.  The
> AppStack starts using
> libraries A, B and C.
>
> AppStack
>
> LibraryStackA
> LibraryStackB
> LibraryStackC <-- LibraryStackC-Substack
>
> Suppose I use LibraryStackC-Substack as a dialog.
> It calls some
> commands in its mainstack, LibraryStackC.  The path
> is this:
>
> LibraryStackC-Substack
> LibraryStackC
> LibraryStackA
> LibraryStackB
>
> However, if the mainstack of LibraryStackC-Substack
> is changed to
> AppStack in application building, then the path
> becomes this:
>
> LibraryStackC-Substack
> AppStack
> LibraryStackA
> LibraryStackB
> LibraryStackC
>
> Now 3 stacks are inserted between the dialog and its
> owner!
>
> Am I misunderstanding what is happening in app
> building?  Is the
> mainstack actually changed?  I'm just going by what
> the TD says about
> the standalone being a stackfile.
>
> Or am I misunderstanding where the library stacks
> go?
>
> Dar Scott

Hi Dar,

When you try top include a stack with substacks in a
distribution, the Distribution Builder will not
include it in the standalone, it just mocks around
with the stackFiles to make sure the standalone can
find it.
So you'll have your library stacks sitting next to the
standalone, unless you're creating a data directory
and letting the Builder place them in there, I think.

Jan Schenkel.

=====