Library stack organization and standalones

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Feb 4 02:36:39 EST 2004

I'm trying to plan out some library stacks and I'm concerned about
message-path consequences when building a monolithic standalone.

I am currently considering making a single stackfile per library with
substacks for dialogs and the library stack as the mainstack.

To this date almost all of my standalones have been made from one
stack, though I often use stacks as "plugins" or outside libraries.

The way I read the documentation, a standalone is a single stackfile,
that is, it will have a single main stack and all others will be
substacks of that.  Did I misread that?

If that is the case, when I build a big monolithic app consisting of my
primary stackfile and lots of library stackfiles, then somehow the
mainstacks must get changed and my message path gets scrambled.

That is, the dialog stack would have the associated library stack right
after it in the message path in development, but in the standalone, the
application stack and other library stacks will be in between.

Is this really a consequence building a monolithic standalone?

Is there a better way to organize library stacks?

Dar Scott