Three stage checkbox?

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Tue Feb 3 07:26:35 EST 2004

Any form of one object having three stages is confusing and extremely
nonstandard. Use 3 radiobuttons instead. Short description about how to
do that:
1. make 3 radiobuttons, name them "Yes", "No" and "Don't know"
2. group them
3. use the "hilitedButtonName" of the group like this:
put the hilitedButtonName into AnswerToThreefoldQuestion

As for the line-trough checkboxes:
They should only be used in cases where you have a hierarchy of
checkboxes and indicate that some, but not all of the checkboxes in the
branch of the lined checkbox have been checked.
See also the screensaver activation preference in Mac OS X. They need
to include a lengthy explanation about why there are three states of
these checkboxes.