Player FileName from Loaded URL

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 3 06:39:13 EST 2004

Scott Rossi wrote:

> Is it possible to set the fileName of a player to a loaded URL?
>
> I have script which loads the URL of an audio file into the local cache.
> But if I try to set the fileName of a player to the loaded URL, the result
> reads "could not open movie file".  This technique works with stacks but
> apparently not with other file types.  Is it even possible to access the
> local cache directly when the loaded file is something other than a stack?
>
> I know I could write out the audio file to the drive, but I'd like to avoid
> cluttering the user's drive with downloaded files. And even though I could
> set the fileName of player directly to the Web-based address, there's no way
> to then track the download progress of the audio file, as far as I can tell.

If you create a SMIL wrapper for it you automatic fast-start "streaming".
Remote M3U's seem to be handled similarly by QT.

One caveat with streamed media in Rev players:  _very_ spotty updating of
the controller, in circumstances that work great for local media.  I've had
mixed results getting the controller to update properly, but no problem
actually playing the media.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation