Player FileName from Loaded URL

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Feb 3 01:12:58 EST 2004

[I asked a question similar to the following in the past without a
definitive answer so I thought I'd try again to see if there's any new
insight :-) ]

Is it possible to set the fileName of a player to a loaded URL?

I have script which loads the URL of an audio file into the local cache.
But if I try to set the fileName of a player to the loaded URL, the result
reads "could not open movie file".  This technique works with stacks but
apparently not with other file types.  Is it even possible to access the
local cache directly when the loaded file is something other than a stack?

I know I could write out the audio file to the drive, but I'd like to avoid
cluttering the user's drive with downloaded files. And even though I could
set the fileName of player directly to the Web-based address, there's no way
to then track the download progress of the audio file, as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions?

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director