GoRevnet & LibURL? (Was: Re: libURL issues?)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Feb 1 20:18:56 EST 2004

Dom wrote:

> The RevNet "update list" buttons seems to be unresponsive.
> Nothing appears to arrive.
> I tried a number of times, every 20 seconds, with no luck.
>
> Do you think really it is a backside effect of the MyDoom attack?
> I received some fake error messages originated by this virus, but not
> much, in fact.

I doubt MyDoom is related; it's reported only to be affecting email.

> I tried the trick proposed by Dave (to comment a certain line in
> GoRevNet). That worked ONCE (got the stacks list), but ceased quickly...
>
> Doing more tests...
>
> My configuration :
> Mac OS 10.2.4
> Revolution 2.1.2

I've had only three reports of similar behavior since RevNet was introduced
in December 2002.

I've not been able to reproduce the error here, but from reading these
reports it seems that something is causing the backscript in the GoRevNet
plugin to be purged.  Two possible causes come to mind:

- Something is explicitely removing the backscript.

- A bug in the engine causes inserted scripts to b removed if the stack
containing them has its destroyStack property set to true and is closed.  By
default the destroyStack property of GoRevnet is false -- could something in
your environment be changing that?

> Also, I tried to save the Revnet stack on my disk. Not possible via the
> menu, the "Save" items are grayed. Successful via the message box :-)
> Anyway, this stack is unusable in "local" mode, isn't it?

The only requirement of the downloaded RevNet stack is that the GoRevNet
plugin be opened first, as itcontains a backscriptand image resources needed
by the downlod.

To save RevNet to disk just change its mode to toplevel.  As downloaded its
mode is "modeless" to avoid conflict if the pointer tool is active.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation