RunRev vs RealBasic

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 30 17:21:08 EST 2004

cdunix at praevius.com wrote:
 > Hello All,
 >
 > Being new to this list and a current RB user, I would like
 > to see your reasons for using the more expensive Runtime
 > Enterprise environment vs. the RealBasic Professional
 > environment.  I am not concerned so much about "ease
 > of use" as much as I am about capabilities.  For instance,
 > how does RunRev handle database connectivity?  Does it do
 > 3D or OpenGL rendering well?  Does it support a "plug-in"
 > architecture?  What level of system integration does the
 > software have;  any direct access to system APIs?

I would happily do my best to help explain why MacWorld UK calls Rev
"the Best Rapid Application Development tool on the market" (Dec 04,
p55) if you'll kindly tell us a bit more about your interest in Rev.

A shotgun approach usually just turns into a pissing match, and there's
plenty in the archives of both lists and elsewhere to feed appetites for
that sort of thing.

So if you can describe why you're considering Rev we can better address
your specific areas of interest.

Also, when you say you're not interested in "ease of use", does that
also rule out productivity?  Greater productivity is probably the
strongest argument for 4GLs over lower-level languages.  Osterhaut makes
one of the most cogent arguments in favor of 4GLs -- c check out his
seminal paper on the topic: <http://home.pacbell.net/ouster/scripting.html>.

After you've read that please describe why you're considering switching
and we'll happly do out best to answer your questions.

You may also want to check out Rev's web site:  <http://www.runrev.com>,
as most of the questions in your post are addressed there.  Your notions
about how Rev's pricing compares to RealBASIC's can be clarified there
as well, looking beyond the price of admission to total costs for
upgrades, support, etc.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation