Way for browser to talk to Rev?

RGould8 at aol.com RGould8 at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 15:26:58 EST 2004

In a message dated 12/30/04 10:40:03 AM, benr_mc at cogapp.com writes:

> I think Dar's got the best way.  Have the Rev stack accept connections on
> some obscure port; then the browser can make http calls to it on that port.
> If it's all running on the same machine, use the address 'localhost' or
> '127.0.0.1'.  If you want to stay on the same page, you can use an iframe;
> javascript (or even a simple link with a 'target' attribute) can change the
> src of the iframe to the results of a call to Revolution.  Either you could
> just use this to display the result to the user, or javascript could read
> back the text from the iframe in order to further process it.

ok - - - I'm going to give that a try.   I know how to get Rev to listen to
ports, but I'm a little rusty on the 127.0.0.1 technique on the javascript
side.

So if I have Rev listening to 127.0.0.1 port 1986, and I don't want the ahref
to go to a new page, is the only way to accomplish this to create an
invisible iFrame with a different target name?

That type of thing?