Menu woes

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 30 11:06:37 EST 2004

Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
> I suspect the easiest way to "fix" the menu issue and maintain some of
> the current flexibility would be:
>
> 1. Keep the system as it is, for the most part.
> 2. When using a group as the Mac menu bar, do not scroll the stack.
> 3. When using a group as a menubar in the window, scroll and enlarge the
> stack.  Now the rect of the card (for ex.) would have a negative minimum
> vertical coordinate, since the menus would stop before reaching zero.
>
> Of course, this would break backward compatibility somewhat, but not
> nearly so much as some of the other proposals, and yet this would fix
> some of the other problems which have been mentioned here...

I don't understand:  as I read that it seems to suggest that all we do
is switch the scrolling from Mac to all other OSes, so that instead of
the scroll taking place on 2.4% of computers it takes place on 97.6%.

Remember that having the menubar be part of the window rather than
detached is how every modern OS works except Mac.  We could debate the
efficacy of that (Tog has a lot to say in favor of a detached menu bar),
but it won't likely change how Windows, GNOME, KDE, X11, and all other
non-Mac windowing systems work.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation