finding local IP... on Win98?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Dec 24 17:43:29 EST 2004

kweto wrote:

>Hello again,
>
>Both methods advised by Thierry Arbellot and Dar Scott worked... on Win2K
>but not on Win98SE.
>
>The result I got for hostAddress on a local computer was...
>
>0.0.0.0
>
>.. when I tried both Thierry Arbellot's...
>

>>     put "255.255.255.255:43222" into testSocket
>>     open datagram socket to testSocket
>>     put hostAddress(testSocket) into theIPAddress
>>     close socket testSocket

I'm not entirely surprised that failed - using "255.255.255.255" is
something of a "trick", so it could work or fail depending on the OS.

>.. and Dar Scott's variation of using...
>

>>the IP address of something on the LAN that is fixed"

But I'm amazed that failed. Are you sure :-) ?

>So I'm back to square one, i.e., how to use Rev to find out a computer's LAN
>IP.

What is the LAN address that you used on Win98SE ?
In fact - what's the whole output from "ipconfig" ? Can you check that
you can "ping" the server address from the Win98SE machine ?
Is the LAN address you used that of another machine you can access /
control ? If so, could you put a UDP "echo server" on it and try sending
it UDP packets from Win98SE ?

If that works - i.e. you can send a datagram packet and get a reply from
the server, then the hostAddress() function really, really should work -
and if it doesn't, I think it's time for a Bugzilla submission.
OTOH, if that doesn't work, then again we may be close to ready for
Bugzilla - but maybe get back to the list with all the results up till
then ....

(If you don't have a datagram echo server and client, email me off-list
and I'll send you one.)

-- Alex.