Adventure Games with Revolution?

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 24 12:57:45 EST 2004

> "Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101 at fjrhome.net>
> Hmm... what kind of "low-level" features are you looking for, more
> specifically?
>
> Just paste (or draw) each picture onto a card, and put a transparent,
> don't-show-name button over each hotspot.  on mouseUp go to card
> <whatever> end mouseUp.  Done.

This is exactly the type of thing my students do.  It's really simple
to get started with, and you can incorporate other features as you
learn Rev.  Some of my kids have a room, for example, where the user
has to play Pong and get a certain number of points in order to
advance.  (Or, as one very cute game had, a Winnie-the-Pooh holding
onto a balloon and dodging the oncoming bees -- a girl's take on
the typical "missile-style" game.)  Other students implement an
inventory, where the user can pick up objects that are then useful
later in the game.

Only one student has implemented a game where the game state was
saved -- mostly because I don't teach them about saving to external
text files (because I don't understand the file paths myself:-).

As I've said before, I'm finding Rev to be a great vehicle for
introducing young students to programming.

  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools