Is the problem Micro$oft or its customers?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Dec 22 11:52:12 EST 2004

I've been updating WebMerge to take advantage of Rev 2.5's improved
support for native XP appearances -- so far not bad:
<http://www.fourthworld.com/wincolors.jpg>

As you can see in that image, WebMerge's background color is the same as
XP's background for the Display control panel and other UIs where a tab
control is behind most of the other controls.

While it looks OK to me, my beta testing customers have submitted
reports saying the UI is "too light"; the previous version of WM used
the Win95 appearance with its dark, dank gray.

So I have three ways to handle these reports:

a) Tell them it's conformant with Micro$oft's published spec and so they
need to get used to it, possibly providing an email address for
Micro$oft's design team so they can complain directly to the source.

b) Ignore Micro$oft's XP Visual Design Guidelines and use their darker
background color (the tan behind the tab) for the tab control itself.

c) Use the Gaslight method:  Tell 'em it's actually the same but their
vision has changed. ;)

I've been doing a), but as more reports come in I'm considering the
possibility that the enormously-well-funded-yet-still-tasteless UI team
at Micro$oft may have gotten it wrong; maybe that color is indeed too light.

So do I conform to Micro$oft and face the wrath of customers, or conform
to the customers and face the wrath of reviewers?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation