testing for Internet connection

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Dec 18 15:49:38 EST 2004

Mark Brownell wrote:

> On Saturday, December 18, 2004, at 11:46 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> There have been many posts here over the last couple years about
>> various methods of having an app test to see if it has an Internet
>> connection available, but for every suggestion I can find in the
>> archives there's a subsequent post explaining why that method isn't
>> optimal or in some cases even reliable.
>>
>> What is the recommended method of testing for an Internet connection?
>
> I have my recommendation to myself that I use for best practices for my
> needs. I need my users to be able to get many files from my website so I
> have my standalone app get a very small text file just to see if it's
> working. If it tests out as returning it then the connection is active.
> This is not best for when it might time out but the connection to my
> other files would time out as well in that case.

Variants of that seem to be the most commonly-used method, but the
counter-argument that's been raised here is that there's no way to
differentiate between a transaction that fails because of the lack of a
connection and one caused by an error from the server -- is there?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation