is "of" optional in transcript ?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Dec 18 14:33:49 EST 2004

On Dec 18, 2004, at 11:57 AM, Martin Baxter wrote:

> Like you I would like to know if this is official or not before I make
> habit of it. Having spent many years religiously typing "of" in front
> of
> container identifiers, it might be hard to change. But,
>
> put item 2 line 3 field 1
>
> does have a kind of rhythm to it.

If you are a touch typist, you might see little change in typing speed
and might see a slowdown at first.

My opinion is that the 'of' helps in readability.  Let script
scruntchers get rid of it but put it in most scripts.  My plan is to
include it in examples sent to this list.

I do think dropping 'of' is more readable than using abbreviations.
Yeah, I know using abbreviations has a long tradition and some folks
are limited in typing or line length.  I'm not a typing teacher or
psychologist, but I suspect it takes less time for most folks to type
'field' than 'fld'.  I know some folks who do use abbreviations do make
a special effort to avoid them on the list and I appreciate that.

Given that...  I do use long IDs a lot.  If the shortened form works
there, I might consider dropping 'of' there.  At the moment, I'm not
sure if it is worth it.

Dar