is "of" optional in transcript ?

Martin Baxter martin at materiaprima.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Dec 18 13:57:23 EST 2004

>On Dec 18, 2004, at 10:26 AM, Martin Baxter wrote:
>
>> I had assumed that "of" was required in chunk expressions, but maybe
>> it is
>> optional, since this can hardly be an oversight.

> Dar Scott wrote:
>
>It seems to be optional in 2.5.
>
>I can't say if it is by design.  It would be nice to know if leaving
>out 'of' in chunk expressions is blessed by Revolution.  It does make
>chunks slightly harder to read.  The long id returns text with 'of'.
>
>It does seem to be required in built-in functions.

It looks like it can be omitted from simple chunk expressions anyway.

Like you I would like to know if this is official or not before I make a
habit of it. Having spent many years religiously typing "of" in front of
container identifiers, it might be hard to change. But,

put item 2 line 3 field 1

does have a kind of rhythm to it.

Martin Baxter