is "of" optional in transcript ?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Dec 18 13:16:53 EST 2004

On Dec 18, 2004, at 10:26 AM, Martin Baxter wrote:

> I had assumed that "of" was required in chunk expressions, but maybe
> it is
> optional, since this can hardly be an oversight.

It seems to be optional in 2.5.

I can't say if it is by design.  It would be nice to know if leaving
out 'of' in chunk expressions is blessed by Revolution.  It does make
chunks slightly harder to read.  The long id returns text with 'of'.

It does seem to be required in built-in functions.

There are some rough edges in syntax.  We have discussed the allowing
of any text not a top statement at the top level.  Some typos do not
cause a compiler error, but cause a run-time error.  (This is distinct
from our intending something but accidently telling the compiler to
compile something else, common in repeat.)  In some cases it is
possible to put two commands on one line without the ';' between.

Dar