Network - Running A Standalone Application From A Network Server

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Fri Dec 17 12:25:18 EST 2004

"About a half-dozen use the program.."

John, If this is data you share, and it is shared often, you should
immediately investigate using MYSQL to store your data. Not only will
it speed up everything when you give everyone their own application
to run locally, but its built-in record locking and other features
will protect your data and you could even use the centralized data
storage for code updates as well -- all scriptable..

MYSQL (and SQL in general) was designed to provide a reliable and
fast way to exchange data with terminals and computers with low data
rates. Play around with a free SQL browser and a database and type in
a few queries to see how easy it works. If one can use filemaker, one
can use SQL.

There are versions of MYSQL that are open source and run on many
platforms, so find an old piece of iron and get it running -- or
check with your ISP, they often have SQL servers included with your
service. That's even easier, as you don't have to maintain the server.

sqb