Digital Photo workflow in Photoshop [was Re: [ANN} libEXIF v0.9]

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Dec 16 12:27:38 EST 2004

At 11:24 16/12/2004 +0000, Alex Tweedly wrote:
>At 11:48 15/12/2004 -1000, Sivakatirswami wrote:
>
>>Do you know if the catalog information that is applied to images in
>>Photoshop CS is stored as EXIF metadata?
>
>Yes, I believe it is. I don't have Photoshop CS, so I tested using
>Photoshop Elements - but I'd be surprised if they were very different.

Oh how naive of me !!

It turns out that Photoshop CS uses Adobe's new format XMP instead of (or
as well as) Exif. Whether it's "instead of" or "as well as" depends on
which version of PS CS, which source the photo came from, ... and which web
page you believe :-)

However, that shouldn't affect the summary of what I said - that Photoshop
etc. already support what you need for the kind of workflow you
described.  InDesign also supports XMP, and eventually all Adobe products
will support it (many of them already do, though PS Elements doesn't appear
to yet).

See
http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/main.html
http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/pdfs/XMP_for_CreativePros2004.pdf