URL download and Cache problems

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Dec 16 03:56:13 EST 2004

Dave Cragg wrote:

> Richard's thought may stem from a similar experience to mine.
> Previously, "load" was often preferred because it was the only way to
> show  progress of the download, and not because there was a need to do
> other processing. In my own apps, I almost always need to pause other
> things until a download completes. (e.g. a learner chooses a lesson to
> open, and can't work on it until it has downloaded) "load" wasn't ideal
> for this. But "load" was often recommended over "get" because of this
> ability to show progress. With the libUrlStatusCallback option, I now
> rarely need to use load. It's much simpler to use get.

I love libUrlStatusCallback! It also works great with POST and ftp
uploads/downloads.

> Caveat:  when using "get", there's no obvious way to abort a download
> before it completes. This should probably go on the to-do list.

In my apps, I issue 'resetAll' which stops the download. Dave, you once
mentioned a command something like libURLResetAll? I think it does the
same thing.

Then I need to reinitialize my libUrlStatusCallback. This can present
problems when calling from the IDE as it kills all socket activity for
the engine everywhere, so best be careful.

-Chipp