Windows Dos window doesn't work?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Dec 15 20:07:21 EST 2004

On Dec 15, 2004, at 3:18 PM, Glen Bojsza wrote:

> on mouseup
> open process "cmd" for read         # it opens a cmd window but fails
> to return a prompt
> end mouseup
>
> Sorry for pushing this but I'm stuck on the road without another
> machine to test with.

Glen, I'll look at this now.

In the mean time, I recommend using shell() if you possibly can.

If you don't need a back and forth dialog, try piping a file into cmd
using shell().  You can set that file from your script and delete it
afterward.  You can put it into the appropriate specialFolderPath().
If it is sensitive, you might have to wipe the file or just use this
approach until you can make open process work for you.  You may want to
set hideConsoleWindows.

There are several problems with 'open process' on Windows.  There are
several bugs to watch out for.  There is one big limitation: the two
pipes for update are not independent; close one and the other closes.
That means that if cmd sends certain data only after the input is
closed, then you can't get it.

The only problem I know for shell() is that it butchers binary stuff on
output.

Dar