SystemWindow equivalent for just one Application?

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Dec 15 17:08:27 EST 2004

On 16/12/2004, at 4:01 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> From: Geoff Canyon <gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com>
> Date: 16 December 2004 2:46:05 AM
> To: Use-Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Subject: SystemWindow equivalent for just one Application?
>

> Using the systemWindow property you can make a rev window float above
> all others. What if you only want to make it float above a certain
> application. The goal would be to make a Rev app that functions as an
> application-specific palette.

How would that work? Do you mean that with multiple applications
running it would only float to the front when the target application
was foremost?

> I think I remember you used to be able to do this with FaceSpan-built
> apps. You had to edit resources (on OS 9) to make it happen, and set
> some resource to the creator code of the app you wanted to float over.

Don't know about this but there are probably more circuitous ways to do
this on the Mac using applescript. You could have your Rev app
regularly poll the current processes to see whether the target app was
running and if so query the topmost window to see whether it belonged
to it. If both conditions were met then you could set the systemWindow
property (although be wary of toggling this too often or quickly as in
my experience it can crash Rev under OSX).

> In any case, is that even possible under Windows/OS X?

No ideas re Windows - sorry.

Cheers,

Terry...

> regards,
>
> Geoff Canyon
> gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com

Dr Terry Judd
Lecturer in Educational Technology (Design)
Biomedical Multimedia Unit
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
The University of Melbourne
Parkville VIC 3052
AUSTRALIA