[ANN} libEXIF v0.9

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Dec 15 16:48:02 EST 2004

Aloha, from Hawaii, Alex:

OK "ideas" here goes:

I deal with digital images virtually *every* day of my life.. so this
is very interesting news.

Do you know if the catalog information that is applied to images in
Photoshop CS is stored as EXIF metadata?

An application we would be very interested in (and I think could be a
commercially viable product in the "real" world) would go like this: in
a real world scenario:

Our photographer in Nepal (Thomas Kelly, as somewhat famous
photographer who also does assignments in Nepal and India for Hinduism
Today") goes on a photo shoot of some particular event. Like most
photographers, he will take even up to 500 shots in a 3 day period....
But for the article that will use them in the next issue of the
magazine, we only need perhaps 8 of them.

Enter Revolution: We make a stand alone application for Thomas.. He
works in Photoshop... enters his captions, then we have Revolution
stack  "reads" all the photos into an external substack which creates
lo-resolution 2 X 3 inch thumbnails., but the metadata from the
photoshop info (which I hope is EXIF) is read into a field below the
photo... he clicks a button, the substack is saved, compressed and sent
FTP to us here... our editors review all the images, and the can read
the captions, the respond to him saying "We want these 8 shots"  then
opens his revolution stack and clicks on a list of chosing those 8
images, these are in turn compressed and sent to use by FTP.. but the
EXIF data somehow accomanies them. When the photos actually go into
InDesign... the editor can pull out the EXIF data for the captions.

right now I have a small application working for remote photographers,
but the caption info is external to the image... when they ship to us
here... (usually by email) I get

01someImage.jpg
01SomeImage.txt  # this being the caption

But, there are challenges with this system.. what if someone renames
the image later ..etc.  files get separated... in some contexts i don't
want any text files in the working directory...etc. It would be much
better if there was a way to for the photographer to "insert" this
metadata into the photo file itself, so that it could piggyback along
with the files as a single entity.

We work with lots of photographers, both high end and lo end... and I
don't see any of them with these kinds of functional tools. There could
be a niche market for some application along these lines.

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
katir at hindu.org