help need to "read from file until xxxx OR yyyy OR zzzz"

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Dec 14 12:00:33 EST 2004

See Frank's comments on reading in the file whole.

On Dec 14, 2004, at 7:46 AM, Randy Padawer wrote:

> Can I do the regex routine (something I don't quite yet understand...
> but will soon!) on a file I've not wholly read?

Yes.

Maybe something like this:

Start with an empty line accumulator.
Repeat
   Read in a line.  (exit if you can't)
   If it is a delimiter line then
       Process the accumulated lines
       put the current line into the accumulator
   else
       put the current line after the accumulator

You can use regex for the delimiter line match or you can make your own
function that uses contains.

I made some assumptions.  You might have to fiddle with what to do with
the first one.

I haven't tried it, but you might run into some problems reading some
fixed number of chars on a file open for text.

Dar Scott