help need to "read from file until xxxx OR yyyy OR zzzz"

Randy Padawer padawer at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 14 09:46:11 EST 2004

Thanks for the comments. Well, the problem with reading the whole
file at once is that some of these files can indeed be huge --
several megabytes. Here's what I'm doing... The text file is made up
of many individual emails concatenated end-to-end. Since the emails
may have originated from different ISP accounts, they may use
different delimeters, i.e., ">From " or "X-Message-Info: " or
that will separate the huge file back into individual text files, one
for each email. It works well if the email is from a single account
(with its unique delimeter). However if, say, Apple's mail.app is
pulling mail from multiple accounts, I can't "read from" any of those
delimeters. Can I do the regex routine (something I don't quite yet
understand... but will soon!) on a file I've not wholly read? Thanks
again for your great help. -- Randy