Connecting to PostGreSQL on same machine: Mac OSX

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Dec 13 13:45:54 EST 2004

Frank, thanks for your patient responses

Still no go..

katir:~ postgres$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
-l logfile restart

nothing happens, activity monitor doesn't show any start postgres
processes started.

So, I'm stumped at this moment.

Is there some other log that will tell give us any useful feed back on
what is happening.

Pierre:  Yes, I suppose I could  do a complete re-install, but, since
two days ago I *was* able to start the server and all that I did in the
interim was to "touch" the pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf files, I
*really* would like to fix this "manually" so that I get a grip on the
issues and not simply "quit" and start over again.  though, if there is
no definitive diagnostic then I may have not choice...

In the meantime I'm logging into our new server in Connecticutt where
Postgres is running just fine and going through the tutorials via
ssh...  creating test data bases and doing my "homework." (I'll have
more to ask you about the rev ap server you installed after I get a
little deeper into it...)

So, not having it running on my own machine is not a show stopper, just
a nuisance.. normally I would be doing this kind of  R & D during hours
when I am off line... now I have to do it during on-line hours= "eats
my day job time." i.e. the time when I should be working on web design,
content and team coordination etc.

Pierre, perhaps you could email me off list your own pg_hba.conf and
postgresql.conf files that you are using on your OSX machine, I would
install those and see if it works

Thanks!
Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications