Connecting to PostGreSQL on same machine: Mac OSX

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Mon Dec 13 12:18:23 EST 2004

On Dec 12, 2004, at 7:45 PM, Sivakatirswami wrote:

> ;-( things are getting worse instead of better. Now I seemed to have
> shot myself in the foot and cannot even get the postmaster/server to
> start up at all...let alone connect with rev... OK, following all the
> advice as bes as I can and also the postgres docs....here's where i
> stand:
>
> ===========
>
> OK first of all Pierre was correct, after initdb on installtion, the
> pg_hba file was in fact automatically installed with two client
> authenticate records as follows:
>
> pg_hba.conf
>
> # TYPE  DATABASE    USER        IP-ADDRESS        IP-MASK
> METHOD
>
> local   all         all
> trust
> # IPv4-style local connections:
> host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255
> trust
>
> # I infer from this that "localhost" should work automatically,
> assuming we can start the server and tcp/ip connections are allowed...
>
> So I then edited postmaster.conf and uncommented only three lines,
> tcpip, max_connections and port....

These should all take on defaults, only the tcpip_socket value is
wrong.  That is the only one you should need to uncomment, then set it
to true.

Uncommenting the other lines certainly should not hurt, though...

> # - Connection Settings -
>
> tcpip_socket = true
> max_connections = 50
>         # note: increasing max_connections costs about 500 bytes of
> shared
>         # memory per connection slot, in addition to costs from
> shared_buffers
>         # and max_locks_per_transaction.
> #superuser_reserved_connections = 2
> port = 5432
> #unix_socket_directory = ''
> #unix_socket_group = ''
> #unix_socket_permissions = 0777 # octal
> #virtual_host = ''              # what interface to listen on;
> defaults to any
> #rendezvous_name = ''           # defaults to the computer name
>
> # - Security & Authentication -
>
> #authentication_timeout = 60    # 1-600, in seconds
> #ssl = false
> #password_encryption = true
> #krb_server_keyfile = ''
> #db_user_namespace = false lines
> (and more lines, all commented out)
>
> ========
>
> OK, that seems to fulfill everyone's guidance... but:
>

> katir:/usr/local/pgsql/data postgres$ pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> -i -l logfile start

This should have been "restart", not "start".  Also, you should not
need to specify "-i" since the tcpip_socket=true option was given in
postgresql.conf.

> katir:/usr/local/pgsql/data postgres$
>
> katir:/usr/local/pgsql/bin postgres$ ./psql katir_test
>
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
> katir:/usr/local/pgsql/bin postgres$

This is trying to connect to PostgreSQL through a UNIX domain socket
rather than TCP/IP.  This should still be working, but if not, try a
command like this:

psql -h <hostname> -U <username> dbname

> So, no I cannot even start up the server at all.

Did you check the activity monitor again to see if it was running or
not?  The above given error message is a connectivity problem, any does
not necessarily mean that the server is not running.