Connecting to PostGreSQL on same machine: Mac OSX

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Dec 12 19:45:14 EST 2004

;-( things are getting worse instead of better. Now I seemed to have
shot myself in the foot and cannot even get the postmaster/server to
start up at all...let alone connect with rev... OK, following all the
advice as bes as I can and also the postgres docs....here's where i
stand:

===========

OK first of all Pierre was correct, after initdb on installtion, the
pg_hba file was in fact automatically installed with two client
authenticate records as follows:

pg_hba.conf

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        IP-ADDRESS        IP-MASK
METHOD

local   all         all
trust
# IPv4-style local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255
trust

# I infer from this that "localhost" should work automatically,
assuming we can start the server and tcp/ip connections are allowed...

So I then edited postmaster.conf and uncommented only three lines,
tcpip, max_connections and port....

# - Connection Settings -

tcpip_socket = true
max_connections = 50
         # note: increasing max_connections costs about 500 bytes of
shared
         # memory per connection slot, in addition to costs from
shared_buffers
         # and max_locks_per_transaction.
#superuser_reserved_connections = 2
port = 5432
#unix_socket_directory = ''
#unix_socket_group = ''
#unix_socket_permissions = 0777 # octal
#virtual_host = ''              # what interface to listen on; defaults
to any
#rendezvous_name = ''           # defaults to the computer name

# - Security & Authentication -

#authentication_timeout = 60    # 1-600, in seconds
#ssl = false
#password_encryption = true
#krb_server_keyfile = ''
#db_user_namespace = false lines
(and more lines, all commented out)

========

OK, that seems to fulfill everyone's guidance... but:

katir:/usr/local/pgsql/data postgres$ pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
-i -l logfile start
katir:/usr/local/pgsql/data postgres$

katir:/usr/local/pgsql/bin postgres$ ./psql katir_test

psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
katir:/usr/local/pgsql/bin postgres$

So, no I cannot even start up the server at all.

??

Sivakatirswami