parsing comments in scripts

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Dec 12 13:39:19 EST 2004

On Dec 12, 2004, at 11:16 AM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> I would, too, now that Ken has set me straight on what the "first"
> line is. However, now that I understand what's involved in this, I'm
> rather apathetic to the whole thing since I don't intend to use this
> "feature" at all. I'm changing my bz comment to suggest removal.

The feature is a by-product of the compiler ignoring top level lines
that are not top level constructs or commands in Transcript.

The problem is that local, global and constant in the handler that is
disabled this way are pushed to the script level.

Any attempt to fix that based on the comment syntax will have the
compiler looking into comments.  That means that though you do not
intend to use this, you might accidently.

Dar