Connecting to PostGreSQL on same machine: Mac OSX

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Sat Dec 11 04:05:05 EST 2004

Hello Katir,

Le 11 déc. 04, à 05:51, Sivakatirswami a écrit :

> Alright... I've successfully installed PostGreSQL on my mac... in the
> terminal it's up and running, I've created a database and just now did
>
> select * from taskroster
>
> and got my two test rows returned... but..
>
> in the Mac's activity monitor... i don't see a process named "Postgres"

Need to be visible there (3 lines of postgres processes), else the
server is not running.

Did you use the best Mac OS X suited installer available all around at
<http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/>. Else, it's the
best to do. Marc Liyanage explains all what need to be done to install
and set up PostgreSQL on our Macs, where the Apple's official page is
mainly "approximative"...

> just the tcsh shell I have open to talk to Postgres...
>
> And also, in rev, this fails:
>
>  put
> revOpenDatabase("Postgresql","localhost","katir_test","postgres","myPas
> sWord")
>
> could not connect to server: Connection refused
> 	Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
> 	TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

About the TCP/IP connections, they are set by default for the localhost
only (and it enought to feet the app server needs..). You can if needed
tune this in modifying the needed line in the "postgresql.conf" file.

> my computer name on the lan is "katir.hindu.org"  but

if you expect to run the connection inside a Rev application's
server..., use this instead of your revOpenDatabase command :

  if PGLinkOpen is a number then get revdb_disconnect("projetsdac")
put
revOpenDatabase("Postgresql","katir.hindu.org","katir_test","postgres","
myPassWord") into PGLinkOpen
It's best to send it once only in app server mode (when it start) and
for each new request in CGI mode. Use PGLinkOpen as a global value.

>  put
> revOpenDatabase("Postgresql","katir.hindu.org","katir_test","postgres",
> "myPassWord")
>
> does not work either..

Let us know how it goes...

Best, Pierre