Disappointed by Dreamcard/Revolution

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Fri Dec 10 18:43:29 EST 2004

Hi Jérôme,

I don't use Dreamcard because i'm owning a Revolution Entreprise
license... witch i use, as my main tool, to develop "n-tier" web, erp
and video-streaming apps for my customers (french administrations :
education, universities, towns, local administrations). As Metacard was
before it, Rev is a great tool with a powerfull and mainly unbugged
engine and some cosmetic bugs in the IDE. In reading your mail, it
seems Dreamcard is realy buggy... and it's probably because this IDE is
a little too young. To get a best idea of the real potential of the Rev
product line, i would recommand you to test a Rev Studio issue (the
same as the Entreprise Edition instead of the native Oracle DB
support). I'm sure you will get a more interesting experience.

Hope this can help :-)

Best Regards,

Le 10 déc. 04, à 22:31, Jérôme Rosat a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I have a PowerBook G4 450MHz with MacOS 10.3. I discovered Revolution
> a few month ago. So I decided to buy Dreamcard to test it.
>
> I am very surprised by the reactions of this application:
>
> After a few hours of use:
> - the keyboard shortcuts (copy/past for example) don't work any more
> - the Inspector button in the toolbar don't work (the inspector
> palette don't open or twice)
> - the name of an element (stack or field) change without typing
> something in the field name in the basic properties
>   so I close the stack without saving and I open it again: the "new"
> name is still present
> - each time I click-right on a word in the script window a new
> Documentation stack open and appear in the Application Browser: after
> 1 hour, the Application Browser is full of stacks
> - I tried to develop a small application for a french environment: I
> had much problems with the accents.
> - etc.
>
> It's as if the interface was unstable, not finished.
>
> If Revolution is the same, I am not certain that it is possible to
> develop an application for a big company or an official
> administration.
>
> And if you don't understand or write english, you should not hope to
> obtain any support !
>
> At the beginning I was very exited by Revolution, but finally I'm
> totally disappointed.
>
> Jérôme Rosat
>
> 1212 Grand-Lancy / Genève

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores