DreamCard Player does not "play" my app

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Dec 8 16:33:35 EST 2004

At 10:37 08/12/2004 -0800, Richard Gaskin wrote:

>Mark Schonewille wrote:
>>A much better approach than using the DreamCard player is to create your
>>own player with all the features you expect to need.
>
>It's in RunRev's interest to make that unnecessary.

Agreed.

>A good player is the second most important external communications tool
>after their web site.  They wouldn't let the web site lie broken, and
>hopefully they're prioritizing fixes to the player accordingly.

You would think so, wouldn't you.

>Please send feedback to RunRev on what you need from a player that isn't
>currently addressed, and post bug reports to Bugzilla.

I posted BZ 2138 on the 4th of September; and it's still languishing in
"Unconfirmed" state. It is described (NOT by me) in a comment as an
enhancement - so I'm guessing it will stay in that state for some time. The
bug says, in effect, that you can't run a stack in Dreamcard Player by
double-clinking on the stack file (on Windows).  I would have, and indeed
still do, think that being able to do that (i.e. run it like every other
Windows app in the world). should be regarded as an essential ability.

[ detail - you *can* run a stack by double-clicking it - but the cursor
will be invisible. Makes most programs fairly difficult or impossible to
use. So I think it's fair to describe this as "in effect, you can't run a
stack by ...." ]

>The player is critical to the core mission.  It would be better not to
>have one at all than one that's weak enough to motivate folks to build
>their own.  Let's hope that doesn't have to happen:  with your feedback
>there's an opportunity to spruce it up into something you'll enjoy using.

I've given my feed back - over 3 months ago - and have yet to see any
meaningful response.
In the meantime, I simply ignore the existence of the player, and continue
to build standalones to distribute. Don't know what I'd do if I didn't
still have Rev 2.2

-- Alex.