interesting patent

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 8 15:48:02 EST 2004

On Wednesday, December 8, 2004, at 12:12 PM, Lynch, Jonathan wrote:

> My understanding is that for many, the point of getting a patent is not
> even to prevent others from using the technology - it may well be too
> broadly defined or have other problems. However, if you have a patent,
> it guarantees your right to use what you patented - so others cannot
> patent the idea later and (if they win in court) keep you from using
> it.

Prior art and © Copyright  also give you freedom to protect yourself.
This company is a member of W3 consortium and they are using SGML - XML
which is a markup language. You can't patent a markup language. It's
too late. It's been blown out of the water by prior art.

I guess they have patented the process that occurs after parsing the
markup language. It must be highly defendable as an application example
with regards to copyright.

Interesting idea though.

my 2 cents

Mark