Standalone Problems for OSX and OS9 apps

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Wed Dec 8 12:59:08 EST 2004

Richard wrote:
>> According to Tuviah's note on the latest of the above reports, the problem is
>> in the development tool (CodeWarrior) that the Mac engine is built in, so
>> RunRev can't fix it until Metrowerks fix that.  Which puts me in somwewhat of
>> a biter bit situation, since there are a number of bugs in my products that I
>> tell my users "I can't do anything about it until my development environment
>> [rev] is fixed".  Now I know how they feel!
>
> Why not just build them a native version for OS X?  They'll have a more
> consistent experience with the rest of the OS, and it'll perform better
> than running under the Classic layer.

Sorry, I lacked clarity.  Two separate things.

- I have users actually running OS 9 for some of my tools.  I need to build
them a 'Classic' standalone.  The problem is I can't easily test it since my
development machine is MacOS X.  I sometimes literally have to reboot into
Classic - and when this machine packs up (can't be much longer now) I won't
even have that option.  Currently the weird situation is that I can more
easily test my Windows standalones (using VPC) than I can Classic ones.

- entirely separate, there are issues such as the - now fixed! - inability
to use file extensions in OS X, the consequences of which have been noted
and complained of by my users; to who I've given exactly the response that
Tuviah has had to for #2212.

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866