Coding for windows standalone

Andrew alw918 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 4 17:35:58 EST 2004

>  Can someone please provide me with or refer me to a basic list of
> things that I should avoid when making a stack with the intention of
> turning it into a Windows standalone?
Thanks a lot for those who responded about my Windows standalone
question! :)
> Windows is a big, weird mess.  What was the specific problem?
Windows certainly is a 'weird mess'.  Anyway, the problem that I
originally had I solved, (and I'll tell you how for those that might
have the same problem in the future.)  But now it's giving me a new
problem that I haven't seen before!
Here we go:
My stack involves a keydown handler where the user pushes a key and
then an "ask" window appears.  From there, the user can interact with
the CPU in a type of "talk-bot"/AI scenario.  (It's actually quite fun,
if you want to check it out http//theultimateeverything.com/VI.html)
As I said, the Mac standalone works just fine, but the windows
standalone had the problem that simply NOTHING would happen when you
pushed the first key that is supposed to initiate the "ask" menu.
(Yes, I did make sure to include "ask" windows when I was building the
standalone settings.)
Then, I realized that my code was very long and it was all in the card
script.  When I broke the code down into two sections and put one half
in the script of some button and left the other half in the card
script, this seemed to take care of the problem of the "ask" window not
appearing.

However, now there's a new problem.  My ask window appears just fine.
You can type things in just fine, but when you push "okay" a field is
supposed to appear with the CPU's "response" to your statement.  This
field does not appear, or at least there is no text in it.
Any ideas why this might be happening?  (By the way, I didn't make any
changes to this field.  The field appears just fine on the mac
standalone.)

Thanks a lot!
Andrew