stacks interacting over LAN? (newbie)

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Thu Dec 2 11:09:57 EST 2004

Or you could send a timestamp along with the message.

If you are going to "beep" do it immediately after recv'g the first
message, but wait a few msecs to retrieve additional messages before
deciding who was first.  Whenever you get one and there is already one
pending, check the timestamps, and retain the earlier one.

This only works, of course, if the computers' clocks are in sync.  You
should run some kind of network time sync on the computers in the
school's lab just to be safe (I know there are free ones avail. for
Windows and Linux/UNIX; OS X has one built-in, and I think OS 9 does as
well...).