stacks interacting over LAN? (newbie)

kweto nrkweto03 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 17:47:23 EST 2004

Hello again All,

I've begun learning and putting into effect everyone's kind advise about
linking stacks thru sockets. Especially useful were the chat stacks. I think
I have a strong sense now of how to make it all work. Thank you to all!

Now, a related-but-OT question. If messages from several computers/stacks
are sent out "simultaneously" to the one computer/stack which is intended
for accepting messages, in what order are those in-coming messages likely to
be handled? Of course, computers are fast so maybe there's nothing to worry
about, but a group of young learners can surprise teachers in unpredicted
ways, especially if they're clicking madly on the "I know the answer!"
buzzer-like button of the LAN-based, interconnected stacks I'm now planning.
I'm worried/scared that, even though given things being equal (such as
computer make and operating system), either the central stack itself or
perhaps even the router might re-shuffle "simultaneous" messages in some
sort of order other than a real-time one, and thus one learner will seem to
be winning all the time.

As always, thank you for all.

Cheers,
Nicolas Cueto