Rev and non-SQL databases (beginner's question)

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Wed Dec 1 10:42:59 EST 2004

Hi Kurt,

> I know that database formats are a FAQ here, but I was
> not able to locate a reference to this specific
> question; if someone knows that the subject has
> already been covered, please point me to the
> discussion.
>
> I've long used the "basic HyperCard" model (one card
> per account, much like a Rolodex) as a quick way to
> whip up an accounting program.  Problem is, if I'd
> like to add an entry or an additional variable to each
> account, it means looping through each card with the
> required modification. I'm also a bit concerned about
> eventual size of the stack; the app and data being one
> and the same.
>
> This is a situation where an actual server is not
> used, (a single computer).
> Would storing the data in this form of text file work?
>
> account1item1,account1item2,account1item3, etc.
> account2item1,account2item2,account2item3, etc.
> account3item1, etc.....
>
> When the app is opened, the text file would be read
> into memory. I'd only need one card with fields that
> would display the various "accountXitems" from the
> text file.
>
> The number of lines in the text file (number of
> accounts) could reach several thousand eventually.
>
> Super speed is not an issue here, but obviously,
> having to wait more than a few seconds for the
> account's data to display is not acceptable either.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have created exactly what you described here:
A one-card adress stack and a textfile.

Just for fun i created a 15 MB textfile with about 100.000 lines, 10
items each,
(with random content, not that i knew that much people) and EVERYTHING
is
working in realtime, even on a 400 Mhz G4 Mac.

Sorting and even searching for a specific line that "contains" or
"starts with" xxx
(lineoffset IS fast :-) works with no noticable delay...

So i think this is the way to go, if you don't want and/or need a "real"
database engine like Valentina, mySQL etc...

Hope that helps

> -Kurt

Regards

Klaus Major