Printing reports in Rev

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Aug 30 02:51:19 EDT 2004

Barry Levine wrote:
> As you seem to have a good handle on this, might I respectfully suggest a
> small tutorial and example stack? I'll suggest a 40-card stack which should
> be enough data to present on two printed pages using the invisible stack
> method you mention.

I'd love to, along with one for sockets, animation, the Win registry,
imageData, and a few hundred others.

Alas, my clients and my product plans don't allow such luxury at this
time....

> Apparently, htmlText requires a field and can't deal with a var; "the
> htmlText of theMiddle" (a variable) errors. So the "invisible printing
> stack" might still be necessary if -only- to hold the current string we've
> harvested from the stack data while we make it htmlText.

Correct:  htmlText is derived from the internal binary representation of
style runs.

It might be nice to have a function, but if the source is just plain
text then most of what it'd be doing is just replacing returns with
"<br>"....

> By the way, my test with 60 lines of data resulted in an automatic page
> feed; I don't even have to keep track of this if I don't need page numbers,
> headers, or footers.
>
> However, reviewing your comments (and the docs) about the pageHeights
> property bring additional enlightenment.
>
> As usual, posting to the list and going through this Socratic discussion
> yields wonderful results. Many thanks to all, especially you, Richard.
>
> So should I kill my "print@" enhancement request? It it reinventing the
> wheel?

Try using objects and see how it works for you.  If you feel you can get
what you need from them then you can withdraw the request with
confidence at that time.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation