2.5 Release Candidate 1

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Aug 27 21:28:38 EDT 2004

At 20:16 27/08/2004 -0400, yoy wrote:

> [...]

No, in fact that's outright common sense. Introducing changes to software
carries a risk of unintended consequences - even with the best automated
testing methods around, you can't afford to risk making unnecessary changes
at the last minute. If you find a major problem, you must fix it; if you
find a serious or moderate problem, you have to make judgement - that's why
software development managers gets paid big bucks; but if you find a minor
annoyance you must not fix it.

As the release date gets closer, you have to "throttle down" on introducing
changes to minor bugs and annoyances. I don't know a software company that
doesn't use some form of this "throttling" technique as it gets to
final  release of large products. You can do it differently for smaller
products, where the predictability of unintended consequences is orders of
magnitude smaller - but not for medium or large products, and I think Rev
must be big enough to qualify for that category.

-- Alex.