Standalone failure for Mac PPC 9.2

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Aug 23 19:25:08 EDT 2004

More info on this:

I tried to open my HA Stack Player standalone, built for PPC, on my OSX
machine. Of course, Classic started up first, but then, the standalone
did not boot: no error msg. Same thing if Classic is up and running
first.

Should standalones build for Mac PPC  run in the OSX Classic shell or
not?

I'm having trouble getting anything to run on older Mac 9.2 machines...
Today I'm going to copy the standalone to a CD and give that to a mac
ppc user, just to eliminate .sit compression issues.

But, shouldn't it run in Classic? I'm thinking, perhaps the fact that
it does not run in Classic shows there is a problem, which is also the
cause for it's failure in 9.2.

I have these start ups in the stack script:

on preopenstack
   set the loc of this stack to the screenloc
   hide btn "Stack Index"
end preopenstack

on openstack
   put url "http://www.himalayanAcademy.com/runrev/versionControl.txt"
into tCheckVersion

   If item 1 of line 1 of tCheckVersion = "HA Stack Player" then
     show button "Stack Index"
     if item 2 of tCheckVersion <> (the engineVersion of this stack) then
       upgradeNotice
     end if
   end if

end openStack

Could the attempt to access the net, should it fail, on 9.2, cause the
application to lock up? (But, it's failing to boot in Classic even if I
am connected)

If I disconnect from the network in OSX.. and boot the same stack...
obviously it can't do an http GET, but it doesn't cause the app to
lock up.

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery