shilling for my feature request [1926]

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Aug 22 16:25:25 EDT 2004

At 12:56 22/08/2004 -0700, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

>At 10:27 AM -0700 8/20/2004, Mark Brownell wrote:
>>I finally found what I was looking for in the basic core for all my
>>pull-parser needs. With the help of those at Run Rev this was found:
>[ ...]
>The functionality sounds good, but may I put in a vote for readable
>syntax, instead of this C-like horror? ;-) For example, this one has been
>discussed pretty extensively on the Xtalk list:

>returning either the array as above (although I'm a bit allergic to arrays
>in cases where they're not absolutely needed - difficult to display for
>debugging, etc.),

<hot button>
The fact that arrays aren't displayed in the debugger is a deficiency of
the debugger and ought to be fixed, not an inherent problem of arrays. It
could be associated with displaying multiple lines (e.g. using "\n" or
"<cr><lf> or ....) in the debugger.

Nevertheless, returning a comma-separated list would be much nicer than an
array.

>  or, as in most return values, a simple comma-delimited list: 1,10,20.

-- Alex.