No one uses W2k (was OT: Virtual PC vs "Real" PC)

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Sat Aug 21 04:57:24 EDT 2004

> "No one uses Windoz 2000 anymore as it crashes  when you look at it."

This must come from that Apple techy that said installing VPC on your
mac would make things unstable...

W2000 has been the best system (client or server) i've seen coming from
MS until W2k3... XP is just 2000 with themes and a few more enhancements
DRM, license keys, hardware locking, and all that mostly restricting
crap...

As far as crashes, Windows 2000 crashes only if you dont know what
you install on it (or how to install it because you didn't read the
readme). Usually a problem between the chair and the keyboard. I've
used W2K for years and have not seen a system as stable. W2K3 is better,
bigger, hoggier and should be more stable but requires at least a 2Mhz
cpu and 512 MB of RAM to be on the safe side... W2K runs on 24MBs of ram,
has all the drivers, and is fast even on a p3...

W2K is no longuer sold but given XP or W2K3 restrictions/requirements
it remains my system of choice.

Of my 3 PCs, most have an uptime in terms of months and they are very
over-over loaded! And believe me when I say they do some heavy
processing - primes searching, a full fruityloops producer edition,
the mule, email, sql, php, ftp, video and audio editing from my dreambox,
etc...