OT: Virtual PC vs "Real" PC

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Fri Aug 20 15:09:46 EDT 2004

While there are few if any real differences between a real PC and
Virtual PC from the perspective of how an app looks and feels,
particularly since MS now owns VPC, there are three good reasons to buy
an inexpensive Windows box for this testing:

1. VPC runs like a dog. Responsiveness is absolutely impossible to test
in that environment.

2. There is some crossover functionality between VPC Windows and Mac OS
X that involve sharing of some resources. Those could become gotchas in
an app that makes use of things like printers, network connections,
etc.

3. Did I mention how slooooooooooow VPC is? :-D