OT: Virtual PC vs "Real" PC

Bill bill at bluewatermaritime.com
Fri Aug 20 15:10:48 EDT 2004

Virtual PC is probably fine but a cheap windows box cost less than Virtual
PC (without monitor - you can use an existing monitor with a switch). The
other advantage is the windoz machine can run stuff off the network without
tying up your real working machine that you are coding on. But why wouldn't
you shoot for the Windoz XP market as that is what they all have. And Windoz
XP is a very close copy of the Mac GUI. No one uses Windoz 2000 anymore as
it crashes when you look at it. I have two of those cheap boxes. One I just
use to play movies (I'd rather use a Mac for that but $450 for a Windoz box
or $2000 for a Mac -- where is the choice?).

On 8/20/04 2:52 PM, "Sannyasin Sivakatirswami" <katir at hindu.org> wrote:

> I'm coming to a point where it's imperative that we see how things look
> on Windows machines. Up to now have just been "winging it." But that
> won't do in the long run.
>
> Question: Is Virtual PC on the Mac a reliable representation of the
> user experience on a real PC running Windows?
>
> Obviously there can be underlying hardware issues that Virtual PC
> cannot address, but for now just the presentation, font sizes, etc. is
> what i am looking for and, aside from rev presentations:  viewing web
> pages in IE5-6 on Windows... to see if the CSS is rendering as
> expected...
>
> Does Virtual PC really do a good enough job? Or do I need to
> requisition a cheap Dell running windows 2000. The "lo-end" Windows
> user experience would be the target.
>
> Which leads to the next question, should we test under 2000  or XP?
>

> Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
> Himalayan Academy Publications
> at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
> katir at hindu.org