Fields, Margins, Tab on Return

SimPLsol at aol.com SimPLsol at aol.com
Thu Aug 19 01:44:05 EDT 2004

     Create a new rectangular field with four lines of 9 pt. type on 12 pt.
leading - 48 pixels tall. Default margins are 5.
1. Try to set the margins to zero. Half of the leading on the top line
disappears. Width margins seem to be tied to height margins, which makes no sense to
me. I can find no way to set either set of margins to zero. Is there a way?
2. Type something in the first line of this field. Hit the return key three
times; the cursor is flashing on line four; all is well. Hit the return key
again; the field scrolls; the cursor is on line five; the info on line one is
invisible; and the only way to get back to seeing line one is to delete lines
(there is, of course, no scroll bar on a rectangle field)! Rectangle fields
should not scroll! Right? I don't want the user to put a five line address in a
four line address field.
3. I can prevent the scrolling if I check "Tab on Return". This works all
right for a plain field or a one line field. But, if i add a 1 pixel border and
check "Three dimensional" on this four line field, the cursor will no longer go
into line four. I can only fix this by increasing the height of the field
(unacceptable, 4 lines of 12 pt. leading must be 48 pixels, 3 lines must be 36
pixels, etc.) or reduce the margin to 3 - which cuts off the top of the first
line again. This problem seems to be directly related to #1.

(Using OS X 10.3.5, TiBook 400, 1 gig of RAM)

What I want is a std., non-scrolling, rectangle field, with 3D, a one pixel
border, the ability to type into all lines, the height of the field to be 12
times the number of lines in the field, and (on some fields) the ability to auto
tab without losing the last line of the field. Is there a simple way to do
this?

I appreciate your assistance.

Paul Looney