bug reporting for 2.5B2

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Aug 18 23:32:27 EDT 2004

Not to whine too much but:

I was under the impression that all the bugs were fixed in 2.5B2... So
I reported a bug that continues to persist in 2.5B2:

Drop file from finder on a field which traps the drop, not only returns
the path to the file (intended behavior.. I use this all the time, all
day long) but creates a field and posts the data from the file into the
field.  so, if I get the path for a 80 mg psd file... rev tries to put
all that binary data into the field. Crashes of course.

but then the man behind the run rev bugzilla mask responds

"bug removed, already fixed... please check bugs before reporting?"

?? if its already fixed, then why is it still happening?

I'm seeing LOTS of problems with 2.5.B2... it is certainly not ready
for prime time. it would be a public relations disaster if it went out
like this.  I worked in Rev IDE generally speaking 3 hours day in
various projects... today I hit at least 8 major issues... non have
been show stoppers except the above... some are scary though, like
selecting a field and choosing the table under the properties pull down
and having all the data in the field deleted and replaced with the data
of a field  on another card in the same background that had been
previously set to a table object... revert now! ;-( at least I had a
way to back out. And i like the one about opening a stack name
"searchfiles.rev" and being told that "You already have a stack open by
the name of "WebEditor-g4.rev... having two stack open in memory with
the same name means you could lose some data...." aside from the
erroneous report (the stacks are completley different) what happened to
the purge option?  Then there's the metal stacks where all the objects
on the face of the card simply disappear ?!  that's fun... resize
window.. blink, they are back... that's fun and then there's the.....

IMHO might it not be better to issue a release with the bugs fixed? so
that we can freely report issues remaining without having to research
what's been reported already.  I guess I misunderstood Kevin's
description of B2 as "just a few crash issues remaining.." and the
assumption all bugs reported has been fixed in B2. I just don't have
time to check if each one was reported before. Ken's revZilla still not
working right with fireFox cookies, and manual entry of the cookie log
in and bugzilla number is not persistent.

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
katir at hindu.org