What is the word for "call" but not using the 'call' command

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Wed Aug 18 14:39:27 EDT 2004

At 5:24 PM -0600 8/17/2004, Dar Scott wrote:
>on doSomething
>    doThis
>    call "doThat" of button "A"
>    send "doOther" to button "B"
>end doSomething
>
>If I use "call" or "send" to describe what doSomething does with
>doThis, how do I describe what it does with doThat and doOther?
>Would "of" and "to" in such a description imply what I want?

I think this goes back to the dual nature of doThis: you can think of
it either as a custom command (implemented by the custom handler
"doThis"), in which case doSomething is executing "doThis", or using
the doThis command... or you can think of it as a custom message
(handled by the "doThis" handler), in which case doSomething is
sending a doThis message. Either way is a legitimate way to think of
what's going on, but the emphasis and terminology are very different.

One offshoot of this difference is that "call" takes the first
attitude - you're calling a routine - while "send" takes the second -
you're sending a message to an object.

I think the best terminology to use will depend on the context.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com