Is this a Rev bug, or what am I missing?

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Mon Aug 16 10:59:23 EDT 2004

I am writing a custom installer program which I need for a commercial
app I am writing.  I need to use a custom installer, because it is
necessary to populate a database during the install process.

The database stuff seems to basically work at this point, but I am
having trouble with code to create folders for the install process.

In the script for the card which implements the file copies, I have
this custom handler:

on makefold what
   if there is a folder what then
     log "Found existing installation folder " & what
   else
     log "Creating installation folder " & what
     create folder what
   end if
end makefold

"log" is a custom handler in the stack script which just sticks a
timestamp after the line of text and appends it to a log of the install
process; this code works fine.

Now when I go to create the installation folders, I use a
platform-specific block of "makefold" lines.  Right now I am having a
problem with the Windows version of the code, which looks like this (I
changed the names of the folders, obviously, but otherwise this would
be it):

if the platform is "Win32" then
     makefold "c:/Documents and Settings"
     makefold "c:/Documents and Settings/All Users"
     makefold "c:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu"
     makefold "c:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs"
     makefold "c:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/"
& \
         "MyCompany"
     makefold "c:/Program Files"
     makefold "c:/Program Files/MyCompany"
     makefold "c:/Program Files/MyCompany/MyApp/"
     makefold "c:/Program Files/MyCompany/MyApp/HelpFiles"
     makefold "c:/Program Files/MyCompany/MyApp/externals"
     makefold "c:/Program Files/MyCompany/MyApp/externals/" & \
         "database_drivers"
   else if the platform is "MacOS" then
(...)

When this block of code executes, the log shows (obviously) that some
of the above folders exist, and that others (MyCompany, for ex.) are
being created.  However, the install fails when one of the files cannot
be copied into one of the supposedly created folders.  When I go to
look at what files/folders are on the disk, "externals", for example.
was created as a *FILE* instead of a folder!  I tried deleting these
files and my own folders (the ones specific to this program) and
rerunning the installer, but the same problem occurs.

What am I missing here?

Signup at www.doteasy.com