Questions about Rev/Transcript vs. other toolkits

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Aug 16 10:33:43 EDT 2004

At 12:01 13/08/2004 +1000, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

>On 12 Aug 2004, at 8:30 am, Alex Tweedly wrote:
>
>>>There's a POP library available -- does it not also handle POP3?
>>
>>I'm sure it will - but I couldn't find a POP library. (so it's either not
>>in the standard package, or it's not well documented, or it's not in a
>>"well organized add-on").
>The POP library is mine and it's listed on VersionTracker as well as on my
>web site which is a member of the RunRev web ring.

What's VersionTracker ? (or do I mean, where's VersionTracker ?)
Obviously, I didn't look there ...

(I just googled for it, and found www.versiontracker.com - but a Search on
that site for "revolution pop3" finds nothing, so I'm not sure if that's
the right place or not).

>  Googling for "Runtime Revolution POP3 library" shows it as the first entry.

But googling for "Revolution pop3" (which is what I did), doesn't find your
page at all (at least not in the first 3 or 4 pages of results).  It does
find mention of  Shao Sean's SMTP and POP3 stacks, but I couldn't track
them down; one email implies they are (or were) on the runrev site, but if
they are, they're well tucked away).

>It is not part of the standard package but it is a well-documented library
>and I hope you will find it is well organized.

Sounds like I said it badly .... I hadn't found your library, and was not
saying that it was badly documented. What I was saying was that:
either
   - it's not in the standard package
or
  - it's in the standard package and not well documented

and also
  - it's not in any well-organized place.
(i.e. there is no single, central place to go look for runrev add-ons,
nothing comparable to CPAN or even www.python.org or sourceforge).

I don't think that professional development tools should require a user to
find (standards based) libraries by going through the Web Ring and
searching individuals' sites. I'd expect RunRev to create a central place
to find these (probably an index, with pointers to the individual
websites). I think "User Resources" on the runrev site should be that
(actually, I thought for a while that it was ....)

>BTW, in answer to Richard's query, it has only been tested with POP3. I
>haven't come across any servers using earlier versions of the POP
>protocol, so I don't know how compatible it would be with them.

No, I doubt if there's such a thing left in the world :-)

-- Alex.