checking/unchecking menus after a menu with cascading

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Sun Aug 15 17:07:10 EDT 2004

On Aug 15, 2004, at 8:30 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

>> Ken,
>>
>> A misunderstanding of terminology -- I understood the "sub-menu item"
>> to mean "SubTest1" in your example above, i.e. the menu item that
>> displays the sub-menu.    A "sub-menu item" cannot be chosen, and
>> therefore yields no MenuPick message,
>
> not true
> put this transcript in the button script of a button with submenus and
> cascade menus
>
> on menuPick theItem
>   put theItem & "  " & the menuHistory of me
> end menuPick
>
> this will show that cascade menuItems as well as menuItems can get a
> message
> sent and intercepted ... so this handler should be able to toggle the
> checkMark of any selected menuItem and cascade menuItem

Ok, I guess I have to be even more explicit :-)

On the Mac, when a menu is drawn using the Mac's native menu or popup
menu control (as opposed to the non-native menus that are available in
Transcript), sub-menu items (i.e. menu items that causes a sub-menu to
appear) will not generate a MenuPick message.

-- Frank